Take the journey with us as we travel through the process of adoption via a route that goes through the beautiful land of Colombia. We're so excited to see what plans God has to prosper our journey and that He will allow us to bring hope and a future to an orphan in need of a family! (Jeremiah 29:11)


Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"Do it afraid"

Not too long after I wrote that entry in my journal (see my previous post), I saw a Facebook post from a wonderfully talented friend of mine -- Rick Florian.  If you know Christian music from the 80s, you'll recognize his name as the lead singer of Whiteheart. A few years ago, Rick came back to visit Taylor University (we are both alumni) where we crossed paths in the Campus Store where I happen to work, and I was privileged to meet his wife and their young daughter who was adopted from China.  The Florian family has since also adopted an adorable boy from China.  Anyway, getting back to my point, Rick recently sang a duet of the title song with Elizabeth South on her album "Do It Afraid".  Not only did I really enjoy hearing Rick sing again, but the song was a very appropriate antidote to the fear about adopting I have some days.

You can see the music video and listen here: Elizabeth South & Rick Florian sing "Do It Afraid"

There's no sense in being so concerned about outcomes that I can't move forward.  No sense in worrying about tomorrow when today is where I live.  I am reminded of 2 Timothy 1:7, which says, "for God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (KJV) The word "fear" is sometimes translated "timidity" which really describes what that feeling of being afraid does to you -- makes you hold back when you should be striding forward.  We're supposed to act like the complete opposite of afraid.  Notice I didn't say "feel like".  I don't know that we're always supposed to feel like we can make things happen or feel loving or not feel confused. I sure don't.  We acknowledge our inadequacies so that He can be strong in our weakness. Then, we are supposed to act like God is giving us the power, love and sound mind to fulfill His purposes and watch it become truth.

So today, join me in acting out Paul's advice to Timothy. Get beyond your fear. Go forward, persevere, do it afraid, but know that we have no reason to be afraid because we are backed up by God's great power, love and wisdom. How will your day look different with this attitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment